Saturday, May 17, 2008

We're Here!

Finally, we arrived here in New York City safe and sound. I love it already. It's pretty amazing. I love our apartment, the setting...everything! We are really looking forward to this summer and all of the experiences it has to bring. I'm sure there will be plenty. We flew into town around 3pm, grabbed our luggage and made the scariest car ride ever to our apartment. Our taxi driver was crazy, I thought we weren't going to live to see out new place! I think I got whiplash one hundred times while feeling like I was going to throw up from his crazy driving while trying to breath out of mouth as to not inhale the overbearing smell of the taxi drivers body odor. All Dustin could do was laugh. Good times.

Needless to say we finally got to our place after 4 o'clock and stared to get settled in. We love it! Cute furniture, vaulted ceiling, huge windows and a great view of a beautiful cathedral-looking church out our window. And we have a maid that comes every other week to do the deep cleaning. I like the sound of that! After getting somewhat settled we headed out to take a look around. We walked over to Battery Park looking out towards the water, it was beautiful. We went to the rooftop of our building to check out the views. We have a direct view of ground zero and saw all the construction going on there.
Then we figured we should get some groceries. That wasn't the easiest task. They don't have big grocery stores here so it took a while to actually find the place. Once we got the little grocery market, we were in complete sticker shock. Over seven dollars for cereal? You got to be kidding me! So we got the necessities and with grocery bags in tow, we walked back to our apartment. That was a workout in it's own. We finished off our first day in NYC with some New York pizza, cheese cake and a evening stroll down wall street. Needless to say we are tired. Dustin better rest up because he starts work first thing Monday morning. Time for bed.

Living room

Try to ignore all the middle-of-unpacking clutter.



The view of Ground Zero from the rooftop of our apartment building

This is right down below our apartment. It's a really old cemetery on the church grounds. Ya, I know, kind of creep right?

Rooftop view

5 comments:

Stephanie Vogel said...

Wow, what an adventure, good luck with it all and soak it up! I am so jealous, but then again I am in Hawaii ha ha complete opposite and amazing adventure in itself also. Life brings out the unexpected its a beautiful thing

Justin and Stacey said...

Wow! I love it!! That is awesome. I'm glad you had fun in Missouri (minus the farmer tans, and poison oak! Poor Dustin!). Your nephews are too cute. So we are planning on driving. Is there anywhere that we can put our car? That was my only concern. As far as a date goes, my parents are coming into town this weekend and staying for a week. So I was thinking either the beginning or end of June. We can totally work around you guys!. I'm so glad Dustin has a half day on Fridays! I would hate to come and have him work the whole time. It should be fun. Anyways, keep me updated on your parents and what you think about our car. Have fun with your maid!! JEALOUS!

Jake and Rachelle said...

Wow! Your place looks so fun! I hope you guys have a great summer there. I am so jealous! Maybe I will eventually make it to a semi-larger city :)

Matt, Stephanie and Hayden Berglind said...

How fun Claire! I cannot believe you are in New York. Who would have thought?!?! So exciting. I LOVE the pictures you posted, such a cute apartment. I hope, hope, HOPE we can come and see you while you are there! I am so excited for you. And your hair looks so good! I don't think you look Chinese at all! hahaha. Love you!

Sherwoods said...

Yeah! I am glad you guys are safe and sound. I love all the experiences...taxi ride, grocery prices, etc. Welcome to the east my friend! I really hope that you guys enjoy your time there. I am so sad we are not there anymore to enjoy it with you! You will have to update often on all of your adventures. We miss you guys!