Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Travelin mommy

Okay so this weekend we will be taking Stella on her first airplane. Am I a little nervous? Yes.
We are traveling to Seattle (about a 9-10 hr travel day in total) Yipee! Dustin will be with me on the flight there, but I will be flying back to Erie by myself with the little one.
So...for all you travelin mommas, What advise do you have flying with a nursing 3 month old? Please share!

6 comments:

Justin and Stacey said...

Make sure you take extra clothes! You do not want to have a blow out or something else happen without a back up, or two. Plenty of diapers and wipes. Do you have a front pack? When I took Anderson on the plane when he was one month (I know, I'm crazy) it was nice to give my arms a break. Just be prepared for delays, so that when your flight gets cancelled due to weather and they reroute you through phoenix and it takes you more like 20 hours instead of the 10 you were planning on (yes, this happened to me with Jack) then you won't have to have a meltdown at the counter because you know you have everything you need for the next 20 hours. :) I am probably not setting your nerves at ease. Just be prepared and all will be well!! Good luck! I'm sure your family is dying to see that cutie pie Stella.

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

- Extra clothes for Stella AND you (at least an extra shirt for you)

- Plenty of diapers & wipes (keep the wipes handy)

- For SURE a front pack/carrier

- She'll probably eat more than normal, at least don't be afraid to nurse/bottle for comfort more than normal.

- Don't feel badly if she cries (even if its a lot) on the plane. Some people will glare at you, but who cares? You're a mom and you do WHATEVER you need to do to console your baby. Most people are really understanding.

- Have things you might need frequently (paci, blanket, burp cloths, etc.) handy so you don't have to constantly dig through your bag

- Some people gate-check their stroller so they can use it through the airport, but I'd rather front-pack the kid and check stroller with the baggage. It's just one less thing to worry about IMO. Especially since she's still so little and doesn't need to run around.

- Be glad your trial run is with Dustin so you have a better sense of what to do on the way back by yourself. I flew to/from Utah for the first time with M by myself and it was fine, but I was definitely prepared.

- Pre-boarding is nice while they're that young bc you can settle in and get all of your stuff where you want it. When she's older (like M now) I actually wait until the end to board so he has more time to be free before he has no place to run. Personal pref. Also depends if you're bringing the car seat to strap them into on the plane.

- Other than stuff you'll need for Stella, and a small personal bag for you guys, check everything else. I'm all about being prepared with essentials and minimizing extra stuff that you won't need and are just a hassle getting on/off the plane.

- Take her favorite toy/lovey.

- If you carry her in a front pack, you'll have to take her out to go through security and put the pack through the scanner. This is true at most airports (all that we've been to). If you leave her in the front pack they'll frisk you. Boo.

I'm sure it will be fine! It will be long and you'll all be tired, but that's travel. We have *yet* to have any travel disasters with M. You're still at a pretty easy stage of traveling because she's not mobile. Have a GREAT trip!

alisa and sometimes brandon said...

One more thing, you should tell Dustin to wear a tight muscle-T so people are intimidated. They won't give you any grief then. ;)

Seriously though, we've only had positive experiences with people while traveling with M. And often times people have gone out of their way to be kind.

Harrison - Party of Four! said...

Ditto on the front pack (both taking it and having to take her out at security). I don't even mess with trying to travel with a stroller.

And unless you can hold it for 9-10 hours, I'd practice wearing the front pack with Stella in it while using the bathroom at home so that you know you can go to the bathroom on the plane and/or airport when your by yourself.

Try to get a seat by the galley on the plane so that you have a little extra room if you need to get up and hold her without blocking the aisles. Ask the gate agent when you get there if you need to.

Bonus - if the galley is at the back of the plane and you have a really nice flight attendant, she may let you sit in the pull down seat in the galley and close the curtain for you while you nurse and while they do their service/drink run. (Like your own little mother's lounge...except maybe I shouldn't say anything about that because I don't think it's exactly kosher with the FAA to sit in the FA seats unless your a FA. I told the FA that let me do that, that I wouldn't tell anyone).

If your worried about disturbing others by traveling with a baby, try something like this http://ochickadee.blogspot.com/2010/12/wailing-baby-survival-kit.html

Some plane have it, some don't. But there is a fold down changing table in the lav above the commode (I never even noticed it until I had a baby).

The majority of the time we fly, it's just been Savannah & I (Brant just meets us at the destination from getting off one of his trips). And we've had some really good experiences with kind people around us that want to help and entertain your baby. They also want to tell you their travel stories with kids that make you feel a lot better because their stories are a lot worse than yours :)

Troy & Kristin said...

I traveled with bryn when she was 3 months, and it was the absolute easiest time out of all the times i have flown with her. I just nursed her at take off and landing, and the sound of the plane put her to sleep. I would say be overprepared with diapers, lthes, stroller or baby carrier and what not since you be traveling all day. Good luck!

Suzy said...

It can be tricky for sure with a nursing little one. I always tried to get a window seat and then I would just cover up and nurse, cause there is really no way around it. I always nurse during take off and landing if I can so that their ears won't pop. Honestly, I think 3 months is not a bad age. I just gets harder when they are squirmy. At that age they just want you to hold them. If you need to get up and walk around with her, usually people are very understanding. Good luck! You can do it!